CELEBRATE ASSEMBLE AND #IMPACTPGH
We'd like to thank all our attendees, sponsors, makers, volunteers, and partners for a very successful MakerDate in 2015!!! We had a blast, and hope you all did too. If you weren't there for the fun, be sure to come out next year for a wonderful celebration of education, art, and community. See below for recap and details on MakerDate 2015.
Details for MakerDate 2016 TBA!!!
MakerDate is Assemble’s annual celebration of our awesome community of supporters! In 2015, we celebrated the impact of Assemble’s STEAM based educational programming. We know that people of all ages, levels of expertise, and backgrounds feel the impact of Assemble’s programs – there’s no limit to who can build confidence through making!
Besides being a great party, MakerDate is a one-of-a-kind event, pairing skilled creators with people who want to learn something new. Attendees are able to bid on “dates” with craft makers, designers, technologists and innovators, who will work with the winning bidders to make a piece of art, a personalized piece of technology, or practice a new skill (see list below!). Instead of a single object, winners receive an unforgettable experience and a new relationship.
All funds raised at the event go toward Assemble’s educational Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math (STEAM) programs.
- Gio Attisano: A laser cutter learning making session at Pittsburgh's best outfitted makerspace, TechShop.
- Carl Bajandas: What's the connection between being a luthier and an animatronics expert? That's for you to decide.
- David Bernabo: Help make a documentary about the Pittsburgh food scene!
- Dee Briggs: A private welding lesson and a killer lunch to talk it over.
- Ashley Cecil: A backstage tour of the CMONH ornithology and entomology collections, with analog pattern-making tied in.
- Phil Light: Light painting through long-exposure images, and you get to play with a pixelstick!
- Greg Manley: Design your own original outdoor game. City of Play will document the process, and maybe even submit the idea to New Games festivals!
- Maggie Lynn Negrete: Explore Pittsburgh's world of zines, and then make your very own using inDesign.
- Joseph M. Newcomer: Cartoons and code and cartoons and code!
2015 Silent Auction
- Anya Weitzman: Hand-forged gold-fill earring from the mod evil collection
- Ann Rosenthal: Art Party Retreat full-day retreat at LOCUSArt--you can bring three friends!
- Robert Zacharias (Zach): In-depth Arduino lesson and help with your own project!
- Anna Failla: Knitting lesson for beginners--tea too!
- Wigle Whiskey: A date with the distiller. Learn the nitty-gritty process of making booze from scratch
- PuzzlePax: Reusable six-pack wood puzzle. Assemble before consuming beer
- Eryn Hughes: Learn to make cold-press soap at Apothecary Muse in Point Breeze
- Siena Baldi: An art residency at MITCH studios in the Upper Ohio River Valley
- Diane Meyer: Introduction to natural dyeing and Kyoukechi clamping--two day experience!
- Jonathan Hodges: Create an experimental electronic instrument through circuit bending!
- Jordan Lippman: Learn to utilize Human-Centered Design toward your own needs
- Karen Antonelli: A handmade rabbit pin--lasercut in walnut and finished by hand with brass decoration
- Sam Foreman: Two-hour glassblowing experience at the Pittsburgh Glass Center
- Hummingbird Kit: The whole kit! Everything you need to build a robot
- TechShop: A TechShop membership and a paid workshop
- MakeShop: A combination basket including 2 tickets to MAKEnight, a handwoven scarf, and a very special book
- Contemporary Craft: Free admission to any weekend workshop at Contemporary Craft
2015 Host Committee
Marla and Mike Campsambelis
Katherine and Jonathan Chamberlain
Eileen French and Patrick Jordan
Pallavi Golla Patil
Melissa and Brian Harman
Marti Lowe and Illah Nourbakhsh
Jami Rutherford and Todd Owens